Saturday, June 16, 2007

Caren's Bead Journal Project


After struggling with what to do for my journal pages I finally decided on a theme which was so obvious it's hard to believe it took me so long to think of it. With my main web site being www.BeadedGarden.com, flowers, of course, is the theme. From there the ideas came tumbling out. Execution is turning out to be more difficult as the only bead embroidery I've done is a couple of rows around a cab or two. Here's one I was wearing today.
For my Bead Journal pages I want to explore adding dimension to the flowers. My first square uses beads that are large and thick so they rise up of the page a bit. As you can read in my blog, it's been frustrating to get the petal to stay in one place.

By way of introduction my name is Caren and I live in Cincinnati, Ohio. I make 3-dimensional beaded flowers with wire and seed beads as well as jewelry. I love all the seed bead techniques and try them all out. I'm particularly fond of African Helix as well as any other kind of helix or spiral.

I've been through all the posts and have thoroughly enjoyed what everyone has to say as well as the photos about the beginnings of their journey on this project.

3 comments:

Timaree said...

Hi Caren. Have you see Diane Fitzgerald's book "The Beaded Garden". It may be of use to you in designing 3D flowers for a page. She doesn't make the french wired 3D flowers; something else altogether. Now that I've mentioned that I'll go take a look at your blog.

Caren said...

I love Diane's Fitzgerald's book and have made many of those flowers. I also like Barbara Grainger's "Dimensional flowers, Leavs & Vines" and Varvara's "Beaded Garden."

Timaree said...

I will have to check those out. Thanks.