Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Which stiff backing for found objects?

Greetings to the group ~ I've got a question about the best way to attach small found objects to my Journal pages...what would you folks recommend for a backing material for the cloth I'm sewing on, to give it stiffness? I've already asked an earlier question about backing in general, but now I've just had an idea about attaching some items I found at the beach. I'm working in a 4" X 5" size. Would it be best to leave extra fabric all around and then "wrap" the fabric (page) around a piece of cardboard or something -- or archival matting board? If so, how would one attach the fabric to the backing? Thanks in advance for any tips!

Christi in WA state

4 comments:

beadbabe49 said...

kristi...I'd still recommend timtex or peltex....I've got some fairly heavy stones I've added to some of my pieces and it works well.

Angela said...

I would also recommend the timtex and peltex and add that EZ-Felt works well for me. It is usually easy to find at craft stores like Michaels. I would not recommend using cardboard because the acids in it would slowly damage your piece. Good luck, Angie

Timaree said...

Although, if you truly want it that stiff, there are acid-free boars available wherever there are bookmaking supplies. Then you could stretch it over the back edges with archival glue of some sort just to hold while you slip-stitch a backing all around. It's a lot more work and I don't know as you'd gain much except for exceptional stiffness. It would certainly hold the weight of anything then but would you want to do your other pages the same? Thought I'd mention it as it may come in handy if not now, some other time.

Sweetpea said...

Thanks gals, much appreciated! So much knowledge within this group -- whataway to LEARN :>}} Thanks again, Christi