Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Making web pages better for indexing with the search engines

Some of you post your webpages and when I look at them, I also usually look at the internals of the page (View->Source) to see how the page is set up for the search engines. Frequently, I find that although a Title might be there, the other internal info needed for the search engines is missing.


This post is some tech info for those of you having web pages, whether you develop them or have someone do it for you. I'm writing this becuase many people (even some people that you pay to do this for you) don't know how to set up the site's home page for proper indexing by the search engines and I have developed a theory. Of course, this is "just my opinion" so take it for what it's worth. But if you google "cloisonne" or "enamel jewelry" I come up in the top 3 so something here is working. To give some credibility to my theory, I'm a beader, enamelist, metalsmith and author, but I have a masters in Computer Science and made my living programming new data networks for AT&T Bell Labs. I work on my own website and do volunteer work for others like the Enamelist Society.

My notes on how to get better indexing with the search engines are at:

http://www.kcenamels.com/HTML_Info/index.html

Feel free to email me if you have questions on this. I hope it helps someone. Karen

3 comments:

vivage said...

Karen, really great info and it reads very easily.

Shows me I need to do some refining. Thank you.

Robin said...

Thanks, Karen. Many of us can put these tips to good use.

Jacqui said...

I think the problem is,I am one of them, we tend to use the templates that are provided and know very little about xtml or css.

Basically I am too lazy or dim to go through all the jargon that xtml or css script entails, I spend too much time on the PC as it is.

Saying that I would love to know more about it and any info that comes into my eager little hands for free, I welcome with open hands :)